Saturday, November 04, 2006

Thinking About Thanksgiving

I'm not sure if I'll do a Thanksgiving lesson this year or not, but I've started looking for good children's books as a starting point for next year. After years in the elementary school I've learned to get better at selecting appropriate children's books -- there are some that are interesting but the language is just too complex, and there are other ones with appropriate language but the pictures and overall storyline are terrible -- so I thought I'd put together a list of potential ones I'm thinking about buying for the future. I do have to say, though, that I don't mind buying kids' books on Thanksgiving because I intend to keep the tradition alive for my own little one(s).

Here in France, I tend to try to find a good blend of a simple book with great illustrations once kids know how to read, and I think I've been successful in incorporating the material into lessons. They're able to start picking out words they know, talking about the pictures, and we're also working on figuring things out through context. Some of the Scholastic non-fiction books I have are just perfect for my young guys, but I'm no longer eligible for Scholastic, unfortunately.

So, here is my potential list of what I think are candidates for a good intro book on Thanksgiving for young learners. I only have seen a couple of pages, so I could be easily disappointed. I worry that the board book format will be seen as a little babyish for some, but no one has ever complained (yet). If you know anything about any of these books, please feel to let me know how you think they would do as an EFL-friendly intro to Turkey Day.

This First Thanksgiving Day by Laura Krauss Melmed
Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks by Margaret Sutherland
Spot's Thanksgiving by Eric Hill
My First Thanksgiving by Tomie dePaola
One Little, Two Little, Three Little Pilgrims by B.G. Hennessy

1 comment:

teacher dude said...

I know this is not really connected with Thanksgiving, but the British Council site as a lot of very good story activities. If your students have access to the internet, why not get them to go here

http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids-stories.htm

They can read, see and listen to the stories which is a great help for younger pupils.